“China’s military expansion is conspicuous, and the military balance is changing in the East China Sea,” said Sumihiko Kawamura, a retired rear admiral who is deputy director of the Okazaki Institute, Tokyo. “China has been ramping up moves to expand its maritime interests, thereby intensifying friction with Japan.” The interlocking facilities will provide the country’s military with both communications intelligence (COMINT) and electronic intelligence (ELINT) capabilities.
China has intensified posturing over its territorial claims in the area, said Peter Woolley, a Japan defense specialist. Actions include overflights by Chinese surveillance aircraft and maritime intrusions by the Chinese Navy and “rogue fishing vessels,” he said.
- China’s aggression in the South China Sea – Wendell Minnick (chinaspeakersbureau.info)
- PLA joins international military exchange – Wendell Minnick (chinaherald.net)
- China seeks Arctic shipping lanes – Wendell Minnick (chinaherald.net)
- China tested its VSTOL fighter – Wendell Minnick (chinaherald.net)
- China, US cannot reverse N-Korea nuclear program – Wendell Minnick (chinaherald.net)